Have a Happy, Healthy, High National Blackberry Day!
Today is National Blackberry Day (the fruit, not the outdated phone)! As cannabis enthusiasts, we at Herban Planet love any excuse to celebrate food, and blackberries are delicious and healthy whether they’re tossed with a salad, baked into a delicious crumble, muddled into a mojito, or eaten on their own. In ancient times, blackberries were used to remedy gout and diarrhea, and these days we know them to be high in antioxidants, vitamin C, and dietary fiber. In addition, the fruit’s seeds are rich in fatty acids and proteins.
If that wasn’t enough reason to head down to your local fruit stand, blackberries and Blackberry Kush have more in common than just name and flavor. The strong Indica is effective at alleviating pain, a property that’s actually shared with the fruit. Blackberries contain high levels of vitamin K, which relaxes muscles, and it has been used to naturally ease labor pains in women.
Blackberries are not only great for the body and brain, they’re incredibly diverse: the only limit to what you can do with them is your own imagination. So, in celebration of National Blackberry Day, we’ve collected three of our favorite cannabis-infused blackberry recipes for some simple yet tasty edibles. They aren’t your usual smoothies or pies, and hopefully they’ll inspire you to come up with your own new ways to incorporate blackberries into your daily diet.
Blackberry Basil Pizza
1 12-inch pizza dough round
8 oz fresh sliced mozzarella
1/2 cup ricotta
1 cup roughly mashed blackberries
1 tablespoon olive oil mixed with one clove chopped garlic
1 handful fresh torn basil
1/4 cup parmesan
1 teaspoon honey
1 pinch red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon cannabis-infused olive oil
You will need:
- Pizza stone
1. Preheat oven to 450º.
2. Stretch pizza onto pizza stone.
3. Brush with the garlic olive oil.
4. Dab spoonfuls of the ricotta onto the pizza dough.
5. Top with spoonfuls of mashed blackberries (strain most of juice), mozzarella and parmesan.
6. Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes.
7. Remove from oven, top with the torn basil and red pepper flakes, drizzle with honey and cannabis oil, and serve.
Optional: Top with prosciutto after removing from oven.
Blackberry Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Ingredients (makes two sandwiches):
4 slices French or sourdough bread
2 tablespoons cannabutter
4 tablespoons blackberry jam
8 slices fontina cheese
8 pieces of basil, torn
Freshly cracked pepper
1. Butter the outsides of each slice of bread.
2. Arrange sandwiches with all ingredients, topping with the freshly cracked pepper.
3. Cook in a non-stick skillet on medium for approximately 4 minutes on each side.
4. Remove from pan when bread is golden brown and cheese is beginning to melt out of the sides. Serve.
Optional: Add 2-3 slices of bacon to each sandwich.
Blackberry-Rosemary Champagne Popsicles
Ingredients (Makes 12 popsicles):
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup rosemary, bruised
1 bottle Champagne
2 cups blueberries, crushed
2 tablespoons cannabis-infused honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
You will need:
- Popsicle mold
- Popsicle sticks
1. Simmer the water, sugar, and rosemary for 30 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
2. Combine all ingredients and stir.
3. Pour into popsicle molds, insert sticks, and leave overnight to freeze. Serve.
So celebrate National Blackberry Day with one of our favorite blackberry recipes and a bowl of your favorite herb!
Written by Emma Ondieki